Honda has now made 100 million cars
Honda Motor Co. has produced more than 100 million automobiles since 1963.
In a press release designed to get some traction over the quiet Christmas period (well done, guys), the Japanese giant announced recently that it had just surpassed the massive number.
Honda T360 (1960s)
Pictured: Honda T360
Honda began automobile production more than 53 years ago with the T360 mini-truck at the Saitama Factory, 1. In the same year Honda began production of the S500 small sports car at Hamamatsu Factory 2 in the Shizuoka Prefecture.
Before this, the brand had been focused more on motorcycles, an area where it remains the world’s major player.
All-new 2017 Civic hatchback
Pictured: Tenth-generation Civic
In 1964 it constructed the first Honda plant dedicated purely to automobile production, Sayama Factory 3 in Saitama Prefecture. The new plant began with production of the S600.
In 1967 Honda began production of the N360, its first mini-vehicle model, and in 1969 it began production of the N600 small-sized passenger car and TN360 mini-truck in Taiwan as part of a joint-venture.
Honda soon entered overseas markets on its own and began production of the Accord in the US state of Ohio in 1982. This Accord became the first passenger car produced in the US by a Japanese brand.
Honda has since expanded its automobile production operations to different regions of the world including Asia, Europe, South America and China, with a current folio of 34 automobile production operations in 18 countries and territories.
Of course, the company is a fair way behind the world’s true auto giants. For one example, Ford passed 350 million units way back in 2012 (with a Thai-made Focus).
Honda Motor Co. milestones
- 1948 Honda Motor Co., Ltd. established
- 1963 Production of the T360 mini-truck started at Saitama Factory
- 1969 Production of N600 and TN360 by component parts sets started in Taiwan/production of N360 started in Malaysia
- 1975 Production of Civic and other models started in Indonesia
- 1978 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 5 million units
- 1982 Production of Accord started in the US
- 1983 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 10 million units
- 1984 Production of Accord started in Thailand
- 1986 Production of Accord started in Canada
- 1990 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 20 million units
- 1992 Production of Accord started in the UK
- 1994 Production of Civic started in Pakistan
- 1995 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 30 million units/production of Accord started in Mexico
- 1997 Production of Civic started in Brazil and Turkey/production of City started in India
- 1999 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 40 million units/production of Accord started in China
- 2003 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 50 million units
- 2015 Production of Accord started in Nigeria
- 2016 Cumulative worldwide production of automobiles reached 100 million units
MORE: Honda Australia news